Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween


Happy Halloween, ghouls and gastlies. I hope you made it through Sandy just fine and are starting to see your neighbors put their pumpkins back out on the stoop.

To be honest, I'd forgotten it is Halloween today until I saw the jack-o-lanterns and (waterlogged) cobwebs around the neighborhood during my morning run. It's not that I don't love Halloween - I do - but more in a harvest, kids in costumes, trick-or-treat, whimsical spooky kind of way and less in the boozy, sexy cat/witch/maid shenanigans that seem to be the norm for celebrations for the 20-30-something set in which I presently find myself. No matter. Tonight a friend is coming by to consume some delicious food and gobble up some chocolate from Theo's and decorate some gingerbread ninja zombies.

As the storm roared through DC this week, I found myself in the mood for some Halloween flicks of the non-horror (and somewhat non-obvious) variety. Here's what I came up with.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir
(available on Netflix Instant)
Upstart widow Lucy Muir moves into a cottage by the sea haunted by the ghost of a salty old sea captain. Ghostly pranks, shenanigans and smitten-ness ensue.

Arsenic and Old Lace
(available on Netflix Instant)
A hoot. Slapstick heart throb Carey Grant returns home to tell his batty old aunts about his marriage, only to find they've been up to something sneaky in the cellar. Spooky in a goofball kind of way.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
In my top five movies of all time, who can forget the Halloween scene where Elliot and his siblings sneak E.T. out of the house or the importance of E.T.'s favorite candy - Reese's Pieces - to the plot?

And of course, the best of the best, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!, which will be on at least twice at our place tonight.

Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment